Żejtun is made up of several other smaller hamlets and villages such as Hal Bizbut, Hal Tmin, Hal Gwann, Casale Santa Caterina, tal-Barrani and other villages (such as Marsaxlokk, Ghaxaq and parts of Marsascala) which were, since medieval times, known as le terre di Santa Caterina.
Although as a parish, it is mentioned in the 1436 Rollo de Mello, this refers to the old church now known as Church of St Gregory (il-Knisja ta’ San Girgor or il-Knisja l-Qadima). The current church, built in baroque style, dates back to the 17th century and is one of the masterpieces attributable to Lorenzo Gafa.
It is known as the Cathedral of the South.
The Cathedral of the South
Girgor Bonici, a mayor of Mdina in the 17th century bought land in Zejtun to build the current church and work was entrusted to Lorenzo Gafa.
The titular painting depicting the martydom of St. Catherine of Alexandria was painted by Mattia Preti.
The church was consecrated by the Bishop Davide Rocco Palmieri in 1692.
The street to the left of the church is Triq San Girgor which leads straight to the Church of St. Gregory.