The original St Agatha church, similar to the Benedictine monastery, dates back to the early 15th century. It was built by the noble family Gatto Murina. The same family also built the the church of St Paul in Rabat and the façade of the Rabat church bears their name. The Gatto Murina family donated the St Agatha church in Mdina to the Diocese of Malta in the 17th century.
Malta was always closely connected to neighbouring Sicily and, with that, came the devotion St Agatha. St Agatha, St Publius and St Paul are the three patron saints of Malta.
The current church built in the late 17th century and blessed by Bishop Davide Rocco Palmieri in 1696 during the reign of Grandmaster Adrien de Wignacourt. Like the Metropolitan Cathedral of Mdina, the church was designed by Lorenzo Gafa.
It was built during the reign of Grandmaster Adrien de Wignacourt, hence the reason why in the titular painting of St Agatha, by Giuseppe D’Arena, we can also see St Adrian.
Leaving the Church of St Agatha behind us we head through the main Mdina Gate towards Casino Notabile and the Saqqajja steps.