The 1436 report of Bishop Senatore de Mello mentions the parish church of Żurrieq. The church is mentioned again in the report of Inquisitor Pietro Dusina 1575.
In 1630 a larger church was constructed. The architect was Fr Matteolo Saliba. It took 25 years to complete the church.
The Church Today
The church is endowed with paintings by Mattia Preti , who lived in Żurrieq for a number of years. His paintings in this church include the titular painting of the Martyrdom of St Catherine of Alexandria, Martyrdom of St Andrew, St Stephen, Visitation of Mary to Elisabeth, God the Father, St Dominic, St Blaise, St Nicholas of Tolentino, St Roque and Our Lady of Graces. The painting of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is from the early 20th century and is the work of Antonio Żammit.
The statues of St Catherine of Alexandria and of Our Lady of Mount Carmel are both from the 19th century by local artists.
Keeping the church to our left we walk to the back of the church (the parish priest’s residence) and into Carmel Street.
Walking the full length of Carmel Street, we turn right into Triq Sant’ Andrija to the Mitħna tax-Xarolla (Xarolla Windmill) and archeological site.