The palace dates back to the 17th century and was built by Count Ignatius Francesco Moscati Falsoni Navarra as a country home. In the 18th century it was sold to Pietro Paolo Falzon d’Aurelle and became known as Palais d’Aurel or Dorell Palace. It is also colloqually known as Palazzo Bettina with specific reference to Pietro Paolo’s daughter, the Marchesa Elisabetta Testaferrata d’Aurelle.
Within the grounds of the Palace there is tower known as Xlejli Tower (also referred to as it-Torri ta Bettina). The date of construction of this tower is not known. The current tower dates back to the medieval period but may even know its origins from the Roman era.
During the French Blocade (1798 – 1800) the Palace was used headquarters for General Graham’s forces.
The Palace Today
The palace is listed as a grade 1 scheduled property and is a private residence. It is not open to the public.
From Palazzo Dorell the route continues through Triq Ħal Għaxaq, taking a left turn into Triq il-Gudja which leads us to the village core and to St. Mary’s Parish Church, Ghaxaq