With the Cathedral behind us, the Universal Peace Walk 1543 AD continues through Triq Villegaignon towards the main gate of Mdina. In the Cathedral Square corner with Triq Villegaignon there is corner statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, marking where the 17th century Carmelite priory stands, connected to the Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation.
Prior to the current, 17th century, church of the Annunciation there was an earlier church dedicated to the Nativity of Our Lady and it was known as La Vergine della Rocca, as the Protectress of the Fort.
The 17th Century Church
The current church building was built in the 17th century. As a result of the 1793 Sicilian earthquake, the church of the Annunciation housed the Cathedral Chapter until the new Cathedral was built. Almost a century later, the revolt against the French started from this church. Close to the Mdina Gate there is a plaque commemorating the names of the Maltese during the uprising in Mdina.
The church contains artistic works, paintings and sculptures by Mattia Preti, Stefano Erardi, Michele Bellanti and Giuseppe Calì, Pietro Paolo Troisi, and Andrea Imbroll.
Leaving The Cathedral piazza and the Carmelite Priory behind us we head towards the main gate of Mdina through Triq Villegaignon, stopping at the Benedictine Monastery of St. Peter.